Sanja Ivic, PhD
2009 – present: Research Fellow, Institute of European Studies; Belgrade (Serbia)
2015- 2020: Associate Research Fellow (non-resident), Institute of International Relations; Prague (Czech Republic)
2017-2018: Associate Research Fellow (non-resident), Institute of Applied Ethics; University of Hull (United Kingdom)
2012: Mentor, Distance Learning Program, Pathways Online School of Philosophy; Sheffield (United Kingdom)
Postdoctoral Research in Philosophy, University of Paris 10; Paris (France) PhD in European Studies, University of Belgrade, Belgrade (Serbia)
MA in Philosophy, Erasmus University Rotterdam; Rotterdam (The Netherlands)
BA in Comparative Literature, University of Belgrade (Faculty of Philology) Belgrade (Serbia) BA in Philosophy, University of Belgrade, Faculty of Philosophy; Belgrade (Serbia)
Foreign Research Fellowships and Internships
2021: Visiting Research Fellow (project: “The Crisis of Human Dignity in a Time of the COVID-19 Pandemic”; University of Crete (Greece)
2018: Visiting Research Fellow (project: “Dynamic Nature of Human Rights: Postmodern Analysis of the Third and Fourth Generation of Human Rights”, International Society for Philosophers; Sheffield (United Kingdom)
2014: Fellowship for Postdoctoral Research at the University of Paris 10, Ministry of Education, Science and Development (Serbia)
2013: INGRID research fellowship for the project “Demographic Change in the European Union”; Luxemburg Institute of Social Economic Research (Luxembourg)
2007: Research Project “Poststructuralist Philosophical Critique of European Anti-discrimination Law”, Institute for Women’s History (IIAV); Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
2006: Research Fellowship, Soroptimist; Rotterdam (The Netherlands)
2020: Cooperation with the Ton Duc Thang (project: “Ethical Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic”) Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam)
2011-today: Project: “The European Union as a Postmodern Political Community: Global Context, Institutions and Identity”; Institute of European Studies; Belgrade (Serbia)
2009-2010: Project: “Contemporary Challenges to EU Citizenship”; Institute of European Studies; Belgrade (Serbia)
2007-2008: Project “Poststructuralist Philosophical Critique of European Family Law”, Institute for Women’s History (IIAV); Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
2022: “The Concept of Global Citizenship”, University of Economic and Human Sciences; Warsaw, Poland
2017: “Europe’s Borders: Security, Migration, Human Rights”. Konstantinos Karamanlis Institute for Democracy; Athens, Greece.
2016: “Globalization, Fragmentation, Regionalization”. NATO Defense College, Rome, Italy.
2007: “Symbolic, Normative and Transformative Dimensions of Law”, Institute for Women’s Studies (IIAV), Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Areas of Interest
Philosophy European Studies Political theory Human Rights
- Member of the Board of the International Society for Philosophers, United
- Member of Euroacademia
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Law and Conflict Resolution
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Law Research
- Member of the Advisory Board of the American International Journal of Contemporary Research
- Member of Athens Institute for Research and Education,
- Member of the Global Team of the Center for Promoting Ideas, USA
- Member of Network Migration in Europe, Germany
Other Professional Activities
2017: Organizing international conference “European Union and India Relations Reconsidered in the Frame of Cultural and Political Legacy and Contemporary Impacts of Gandhi’s Thought”, Institute for European Studies, Serbia, 27-28 September.
2016: Editor at International Society for Philosophers (ISFP) Publishing (reviewing books submitted for publication) (Sheffield, UK)
2012: Reviewing project proposals in the field of political philosophy, GAČR, Czech Science Foundation (Czech Republic)
2011-present: reviewing papers in the three international peer-reviewed journals: International Law Research (Canada), American International Journal of Contemporary Research (USA) and Journal of Law and Conflict Resolution (Africa)
2009-2011: Reviewing conference papers, Steering group “Pluralism, Inclusion and Citizenship” A Diversity and Recognition Project (London, UK).
- (2023): The Concept of European Values: Creating a New Narrative for Europe. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield; Lexington Books (forthcoming).
- (2019): EU Vernon Press: Wilmington.
- (2018): Paul Ricoeur’s Idea of Reference. Reference as Refiguration. Boston and Leiden:
- (2016): The European Identity and Citizenship: Between Modernity and Postmodernity. London: Palgrave
- (2014): Pojam evropskog građanina. Novi Sad: Mediterran
- (2008): Belgrade: Alma.
- (2023): Creating Digital European Citizenship and the Digital European Public Sphere. In: Ramiro Troitino, David (ed.) Digital Development of the European Union. London: Springer (forthcoming).
- (2023) The Relevance of Christian Ethics to the Ethics of Care. In: Dennis Hiebert (ed.)
Routledge International Handbook of Sociology and Christianity. UK: Routledge (forthcoming).
- (2022): Posthuman Ethics: Priority of Ethical over Ontological In: Tumilty, Emma and Michele Battle-Fisher (eds.): Transhumanism – Entering an Era of Bodyhacking and Radical Human Modification, New York: Springer.
- (2022): The Future of the European Union after the COVID-19 Pandemic: Creating a New Narrative for Europe. In: Nevena Prolovic (ed.) The Future of the European Union after the COVID-19 Belgrade: Institute of International Politics.
- (2021): International Organizations and COVID-19 Discourse. In: Faiz Ansari and Shruti Charturvedi, Internatioal Law and Contemporary Framework. Gujarat, India: Research Culture Society and Publication, 80-90.
- (2019): Brexit and the Emergence of Nationalist Narratives in Europe: Creating a New Narrative for the European Union. In: Sacco, Marcello (ed.): Brexit: A Way Forward, Wilmington: Vernon Press, 1-23.
- (2016): Europe’s Migration Crisis: A Challenge to Democracy. In: Djeric, Gordana (ed.): Spatial Demarcations: Between the Politics of Fear and Effects on the Purse. Belgrade: Institute for European Studies, 83-95.
- (2014): Contemporary Challenges to EU Citizenship (Savremeni izazovi građanstvu Evropske In: Samardzic, Slobodan; Radic, Ivana (eds.): European Citizenship in the Time of Crisis. Belgrade: Cigoja Stampa, pp. 215-233.
- (2011): The Postmodern Liberal Conception of Citizenship. In: Danisch, Robert (ed.): Citizens of the World: Pluralism, Migration and Practices of Citizenship. Amsterdam, Atlanta: Rodopi, pp. 3-19.
- (2010): The Postmodern Liberal Conception of Citizenship. In: Chapple, Julian (ed.): Boundaries: Dichotomies of Keeping In and Keeping Out. Oxford, UK: Inter-Disciplinary Press, 13-25.
- (2023): The United Nations Narrative of Climate Change: The Logic of Apocalypse. Cultura: International Journal of Philosophy of Culture and Axiology, 20, No.1, pp. 15-26 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2022, co-author): Digital Sovereignty and Identity in the European Union: A Challenge for Building Europe. European Studies. The Review of European Law, Economics and Politics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 80-109 (indexed in Scopus, SCImago).
- (2022): The Role of Imagination in Understanding the Historical Past. Analitica, no. 2, pp. 122-128.
- (2022): Using the Aeneid to Negotiate Difference: Identity, Difference and Narratives of Ágora. Estudos Clássicos em Debate, No. 24, pp. 143-164 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2021, co-author): Recognition of Older Adults as a Heterogeneous Social Trans/Form/Aςão, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 357-374 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2021): Jacques Derrida’s Philosophy of Forgiveness. Filosofia Unisinos, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 1-9, (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2020): The Significance of Paul Ricoeur’s Narrative Theory and Hermeneutics for Understanding Carl Jung’s Red Book, Critical Hermeneutics, 4, pp. 163-182.
- (2020):The Hermeneutics of Gender Equality Law in Europe, Javnost-The Public, Vol. 27, Issue 4, 407-419 (indexed in: SSCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2020) Vietnam’s Response to the COVID-19 Outbreak. Asian Bioethics Review, Vol. 12, Issue 3, 341-347 (indexed in: SCI-expanded, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2020, co-author) The Rhetoric of Othering in a Time of Pandemic: Labeling COVID-19 as a ‘Foreign Virus’ in Public Kultura polisa, Vol. 17, No. 43, pp. 421-433.
- (2020): Paul Ricoeur’s Hermeneutics as a Bridge Between Aesthetics and Ontology. Rivista di Estetica, 1, pp. 87-112 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2019): The Concept of European Values. Cultura: International Journal of Philosophy of Culture and Axiology, 16, No.1,pp. 103-117 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2018): European Philosophical Identity Narratives. Cultura: International Journal of Philosophy of Culture and Axiology, 15, No.1,pp. 125-145 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2018): Globalization and the Postnational Model of Glocalism: Journal of Culture, Politics and Innovation, No. 1, pp. 1-18.
- (2018): Globalization, Regionalization, Fragmentation: Postnational National Political Paradigms. Kultura polisa, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 153-174 (indexed in: SCImago).
- (2017): The Concept of European Public Sphere in the European Public Discourse. Etikk i Praksis: Nordic Journal of Applied Ethics, No 11, 2, pp. 79-94 (indexed in: SSCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2016): Citizenship as Discursive Practice: The Postmodern Culture of Citizenship. Journal of Philosophy, Culture and Religion, 19, pp. 13-19.
- (2016): EU Public Political Discourse after Terrorist Attacks in Paris and International Politics, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 206-242.
- (2015): Demographic Change in the European Union: a Challenge to EU Review of International Affairs, Vol. XLVII, No. 58, pp. 122-140.
- (2014): Ethics of Care: Towards Postmodern Ethics?, Sveske, 112, pp. 94-102.
- (2014): The Concept of European Values within European Public Political Sveske, No. 111, pp. 115-122.
- (2013): The Archetypal World of Nikola Jung Journal: Culture and Psyche, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 48-55 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus)(2013): The Rights of Older Adults in the European Union. Dados – Revista de Ciencias Sociais, Vol. 1, Issue 56, pp. 185-205 (indexed in: SSCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2013): The Truth as a Non-Reference: Realist and Antirealist Conception of Reference. Acta Philosophica, 22, Issue 1, pp. 99-117 (indexed in A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2012): The EU Citizenship as a Mental Construct: Reconstruction of Postnational Model of European Review, Vol. 20, No. 3, 2012, pp. 419-437 (indexed in: SSCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2011): Binary Oppositions in Philosophy of Phlogiston: Journal of History of Science, No. 18/19, pp. 127-149.
- (2011): European Identity: Between Modernity and Postmodernity (co-author Dragan Lakićević). Innovation: The European Journal of Social Science Research. Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 395-407 (indexed in: SSCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2011): European Commission’s Plan D for Democracy, Dialogue and Debate: A Path Towards Deliberation?Journal of Law and Conflict Resolution, 3, No. 2 February, pp. 14-19.
- (2011): Péče cestou deliberace: k ideji kontextuální morálky (Political Science and Contextual Idea of Morality). Filosofický časopis, No. 4, pp. 96-115 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2010): Dynamic Nature of Human Rights: Rawls’s Critique of Moral Trans/Form/Aςão, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 223-240 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2010): Care Through Deliberation: A New Role of the Ethics of Care. Revista de Cercetare si Interventia Sociale, 31, pp. 80-94 (indexed in: SSCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2010): European Human Rights Cultura, International Journal of Culture and Axiology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 208-217 (indexed in: A&HCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2010): The Assembly of European Regions’ Udine Declaration: Contradictory Approaches to European and Regional Identities. European Urban and Regional Studies, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 443-446 (indexed in: SSCI, SCImago and Scopus).
- (2009): Rethinking EU Citizenship: Towards the Postmodern Ethics of Citizenship. Journal of Identity and Migration Studies, 3, No. 2, pp. 40-61 (indexed in: SCI expanded).
- (2009): The EU Visa Liberalisation Process for Western Balkan Countries as a Reflection of the Politics of Modernity. The Romanian Journal of European Studies (Special Issue on Migration and Mobility), 7-8, pp. 121-128 (indexed in Scopus).
- (2009): Hermeneutical Aspect of Praxis Filosófica, No. 29, pp.127-142.
- (2009): The Four Values of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union. Daena: International Journal of Good Conscience, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 278-295.
- (2009): Ricoeur’s Narrative Theory Applied to Science“, Philosophical Papers and Reviews, 1 (3), September, 2009, pp. 44-51.
- (2009): European Udine Declaration: Poststructuralist Reading. Review of European Studies, Vol. 1, 2, pp. 110-116.
- (2009): Southeastern European Feminism and Konvergencias, Vol. 24, pp. 88-103.
- (2008): Explanation and Understanding in the History of Philosophy and Ricoeur’s Theory. Crossroads: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Study of History, Philosophy, Religion and Classics, 3, Issue 1, pp. 26-34.
- (2007): Spinoza and Kant on Res Cogitans: Journal of Philosophy, No. 4, Vol. 1, pp. 132-144.
- (2007): Rawls’s Law of Moral Peoples. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 1, Issue 2, 1-10.Conference Papers:
- (2020): “The Relevance of the Postmodern Idea of Subjectivity for Development of the Concept of Posthuman Agency”, 4th Annual Posthuman Symposium, New York University, New York (odloženo za godinu).
- (2019): “Globalization and Regionalization: National Postnational Values”, Symposium: Intercultural Challenges in the Era of Globalization, University “Alexandru Ioan Cuza”, Iasi, Romania.
- (2018): “European Philosophical Identity ” Symposium: Interpretation of Values, University “Alexandru Ioan Cuza”, Iasi, Romania.
- (2018): “European Identity in Light of Brexit”. Conference: Europe as a Global Actor, ISCTE- IUL, University of Lisbon,
- (2015): Contemporary Challenges to EU University of Belgrade, Faculty of Political Sciences; Belgrade, Serbia.
- (2013): Paul Ricoeur’s Idea of Metamorphoses of Narrative Paul Ricoeur and the Future of Humanities. University of Groningen, Faculty of Philosophy; Groningen, The Netherlands.
- (2012): Citizenship and Identity as Narrative Constructs. Political and Constitutional Accommodation of Ethno-Linguistic Conflicts in Southern 13th Mediterranean Research Meeting, European University Institute; Florence, Italy.
- (2011): Shared Challenges in the European Union and the United States: Emerging from the European University Institute and the European Commission; Brussels, Belgium.
- (2010): The European Union and Politics of 8th European Urban an Regional Studies Conference: Repositioning of Europe in Era of Global Transformation; Vienna, Austria.
- (2009): Postmodern Conception of 5th Global Conference: Pluralism, Inclusion and Citizenship; Salzburg, Austria.
- (2008): Cultural Differences and Cultural Intercultural Dialogue MALRO. Ministry of Culture, Republic of Serbia, and French Cultural Center; Belgrade (Serbia).
- (2007): Human Rights Sixty Years after the Establishment of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Harper Academic Research Competition: Factors for Prosperity, Progress and Human Flourishing, SocialChange; USA.